Negotiations between the US and Iran on the nuclear issue will continue, US President Donald Trump said after his meeting on Wednesday with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the White House.
“There was nothing definitive reached other than I insisted that negotiations with Iran continue to see whether or not a Deal can be consummated,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
“If it can, I let the Prime Minister know that will be a preference. If it cannot, we will just have to see what the outcome will be.”
“Last time Iran decided that they were better off not making a Deal, and they were hit with Midnight Hammer — That did not work well for them.”
“Additionally, we discussed the tremendous progress being made in Gaza, and the Region in general. There is truly PEACE in the Middle East,” the post concluded.
Trump, Netanyahu discuss Gaza, Iran
The meeting – the seventh between the two since Trump returned to office last year – lasted three hours, two more than the scheduled time. It was more muted than past visits, with Netanyahu using the White House’s back entrance, and it was closed to the press.
During the meeting, the prime minister presented intelligence on Iran’s military buildup, including developments related to its ballistic missile program. He also conveyed the message that if Trump decides to strike Iran, the operation should include targeting the ballistic missile project as well.
The meeting between the Prime Minister and the US president also addressed the situation in Gaza.
“The Prime Minister emphasized the security needs of the State of Israel in the context of the negotiations, and the two agreed to continue close coordination and maintain direct communication,” the Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement issued after the meeting.
According to Israeli media, a variety of other security and political officials were present at the meeting, including: US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff, Jared Kushner, US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, Israel’s ambassador to the US Yechiel Leiter, Military Secretary Maj.-Gen. Roman Gofman, acting director of the National Security Council Gil Reich, Michael Eisenberg, Ziv Agmon, and advisor Ofir Falk.
Meanwhile, additional forces continue to be deployed to the Middle East. The Pentagon has instructed the USS Bush aircraft carrier to prepare for deployment to the region after completing operational readiness preparations. Under the most optimistic scenario, it will take between 12 and 15 days to reach the Middle East.
Netanyahu signs Board of Peace charter
This came after Netanyahu officially joined Trump’s Gaza Board of Peace during a meeting with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio at the Blair House in Washington on Wednesday.
On January 19, Netanyahu signed a letter of agreement to “refer to the Charter of the Board of Peace… on behalf of the State of Israel.”
“By this communication, I confirm that the said signature is definitive,” the letter read, adding that it constitutes “the consent of the State of Israel to be bound by the Charter.”
“I will present Trump with principles for negotiations with Iran that are important not only to Israel but to everyone who wants peace and security,” Netanyahu said while boarding Wing of Zion, Israel’s state aircraft, on Tuesday.
“In my opinion, these are important principles for everyone who wants peace and security in the Middle East,” Netanyahu said.
After landing in the US on Monday, Netanyahu met with US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner at Blair House, where the three discussed various regional issues.
During the meeting, Witkoff and Kushner also updated Netanyahu on the first round of talks held with Iran last Friday.
Amichai Stein contributed to this report.